We all know that the benefits of a healthy diet are impressive and lifechanging for all the right reasons. It can help you lose weight, ensure that you have the energy to get through the day and even give your skin a healthy boost.
The famous saying “You are what you eat” couldn’t be more true in this case as your food choices will determine how your skin reacts. For example, if you’ve ever consumed a lot of unhealthy foods or junk food, you might have noticed how your skin breaks out as a result. So, imagine what could happen if you fuel your body with skin-loving nutrients?
5 nutrients to give your skin a boost
We’ve all heard about the benefits that certain vitamins and minerals offer our body. Let’s take a look at some of the nutrients that’ll help keep your skin healthy.
- Vitamin A: For smooth skin and an even skin tone, look into consuming foods rich in vitamin A. It can also reduce the appearance of fine lines, minimise sun damage and even treat skin conditions such as acne. If you’re looking to add vitamin A to your diet, try incorporating foods such as liver, fish, carrots, dairy, cantaloupe and broccoli.
- Vitamin C: To help your skin repair itself and reduce the effects of aging, add foods rich in vitamin C to your diet. This can include citrus fruits, brussels sprouts, broccoli, potato, peppers, strawberries and blackcurrants.
- Vitamin D: To prevent sun damage and premature aging, as well as nourish dry skin, heal wounds and treat multiple skin conditions, include foods rich in vitamin D such as red meat, eggs, liver, fish and cereals.
- Vitamin E: To reduce UV damage and nourish your skin as well as fight inflammation and swelling, add vitamin E to your diet. This can be done by consuming seeds, nuts, leafy greens and vegetable oils.
- Zinc: To prevent inflammation, reduce the appearance of oily skin and treat acne, zinc-rich foods like whole grains and cereals, dairy, nuts red meats and poultry should be added to your meal plan.
- Pro tip: Reduce your consumption of sugary treats, fatty foods and carbohydrates to have healthier skin.
It’s important to remember that even though foods can help to promote healthy skin, you may need additional help as you get started. There are a lot of options on the market that includes serums and creams. If you’re unsure about how to proceed, speak to your doctor before trying anything.
A healthy diet can improve your overall wellbeing
It’s a simple fact that we were taught as kids and should always remain mindful of. The things that you use to fuel your body will determine how it performs. And you want it to perform at its optimum like the games you’ll find online. You wouldn’t put petrol in a diesel car, so why would you bombard your body with junk?